Admissions for Non-Regular Students

You can be part of USFQ as a non-regular student. Designed for Ecuadorian or foreign students who were accepted at a foreign university or are studying abroad, but want to do one or two semesters in Ecuador.


Who can apply?

  • Ecuadorian or foreign students who have been accepted into a foreign university, and who plan to study outside of Ecuador.
  • Ecuadorian students who study abroad, but want to do one or two semesters in Ecuador.

Why would you apply to be a Non-Regular student?

  • You could not start or continue your studies at the foreign university
  • The health crisis does not allow you to leave the country or other economic consequences
  • You were accepted to a foreign university, you want to postpone your admission to that university and you did not have time to carry out the regular USFQ admissions process
  • You passed the USFQ PAA (Academic Aptitude Test)  but you have not decided on a program. You can start with general school and choose subjects from different schools (faculties).

What are the benefits of choosing USFQ?

  • Liberal arts training. USFQ is the only liberal arts university in the region.
  • Professors with recognized experience in their research area.
  • Same academic calendar and credit system as most universities in the United States.
  • You gain time and knowledge until you can enter the foreign university.
  • Offer of courses in English.
  • Access to research projects (optional).
  • Creation of a network of contacts in the country, both of professors with vast experience and future professionals.
  • Support when transferring credits abroad.



Summer 2021
May 31, 2021 - July 27, 2021
First Semester 2021/2022
August 23, 2021 - December 20, 2021

How many classes can I take?

You can enroll in a maximum of 9 credits in the summer and 15 credits in the semester; that is, a maximum of 3 and 5 classes respectively, considering that each class has 3 credits.

It is also possible to take individual classes, at a different cost. Please review the costs section.

Can I take any class offered by USFQ?

You can enroll in the subjects offered in person and that correspond to basic levels 100 (one hundred), 200 (two hundred), or 300 (three hundred). In specific cases of other levels, students must have the necessary prerequisites backed by a transcript and the syllabus for the review of the career coordinator.

For this purpose, we offer advice when making your choice of subjects.

Courses Offered:


Subjects with the codes MED, ODT, VET, JUR, ARQ, or IMC are excluded.


Necessary documents

  • Letter of acceptance at a foreign university or,
  • Transcript of the previous semester (will be confirmed with the home university) or,
  • High School Diploma and Standardized Entrance Exam Results (PAA/SAT/ACT)

>>Apply here

Application Deadlines:

May 23, 2021 (Summer 2021)
August 15, 2021 (First semester 2021/2022)




1 Class:       $753.75
2 Classes:     $1,507.50
3 Classes:     $2,261.25
4 Classes:     $3,015.00

Costos Semestres

1 Class:       $1,750.00
2 Classes:     $2,950.00
3 Classes:     $4,150.00
4-5 Classes:  $5,500.00

Payment facilities

  • Check
  • Cash
  • Credit card
    • 6 months no interest
    • Up to 48 months with interest on the card

The costs for the Fall Semester will be published in July 2021

Payment Deadlines:

Summer: two weeks after the start of classes
Semester: One month after the start of classes

If the payment is not made within the established periods, the USFQ may initiate the process of withdrawing the student from the classes.

Financial Aid:

When entering as non-regular students, the full summer or semester cost must be paid.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does it mean to be a NON-REGULAR student?
Non-regular students are those who do not opt ​​for an academic degree, since their studies at USFQ are temporary, that is, they can take classes during 1 or 2 ordinary academic periods or 1 extraordinary academic period; which is equivalent to 2 semesters and 1 summer.

Missing media item.


Can I become a regular student?
Yes, you can change the status to a regular student by following the requirements established by the Admissions Office.

  1. Complete the regular USFQ admissions process, including taking the PAA exam
  2. Comply with the conditions established for the change
  3. Request a new code as a regular student and declare the degree you intend to take
  4. Update your information and provide any pertinent documentation that the Admissions Office requests
  5. Complete the form for validation of subjects taken as a Non-Regular Student
  6. Withdraw Certificate of Admissions as a Regular Student
  7. Pay at the treasury or web portal
    1. Values ​​of educational services, corresponding to the degree program
    2. Subject validation, fees
  8. Register for the subjects you will take
  9. Verify the academic Kardex that the subjects have been validated to the new Regular Student code

The subjects are homologated together with the marks obtained in the status of Non-Regular Student

Am I guaranteed entry to USFQ if I go from being a non-regular student to a regular student?
You must comply with the entire process and requirements of the Admissions Office. The program coordinator will guide you through the process.

I am not Ecuadorian, can I apply?
Yes, the program is open to Ecuadorian and foreign citizens.

Is there a maximum age you must be to be a non-regular student?
There is no age limit. However, a condition to be met is not having a third level degree

Entrance exams PAA, SAT, or ACT will be received as long as they are valid.

What if I did a sixth year abroad, they accept that title, do I have to revalidate here?
You must be able to prove that you have been accepted into an international university and have taken the PAA, SAT, or ACT admissions tests.
In case you want to be a regular student, your bachelor's degree must be revalidated by the Ministry of Education.

I did not take the entrance exam at USFQ. What can I do?
You can apply to this modality by presenting your formal acceptance letter at the foreign university and college notes, the official transcript of qualifications or a certificate of enrollment from the foreign university

Your entry to the USFQ would be as a NON-REGULAR student

If I already have a university degree, can I apply to be a non-regular student?
The program is open to people who do not have a college degree and have recently graduated from high school. USFQ offers continuing education courses for professional development. For more information click here... 

I don't know which program to choose, which classes do I enroll in?
USFQ has a liberal arts educational philosophy, in which all sciences are believed to be of equal importance. Consequently, students can choose subjects from various colleges (faculties).

We also offer contact with the Student Counseling Department, which can provide career counseling based on personal interests.

Are the seats filled in each class? It may be that there is no longer space in the class I wanted, what do I do?
Yes, there is a possibility that the quotas will end in the different classes. However, the program coordinator will help the student navigate the registration processes and request space with each coordinator and teacher.

I graduated with honors or I was a standard bearer, do I receive a scholarship?
No, Academic Excellence Scholarships are for regular students only and USFQ does not have an automatic scholarship system.

Is there a discount if my other siblings study at USFQ?
Yes, a discount may apply. You must apply through the Financial Aid Office.

At the end of my semester, will you give me a transcript?
At the end of the semester and once the total payment for the semester has been made, you will receive a transcript with the grades obtained.

Can I transfer my credits to a university abroad? 
It depends on the foreign institution. There are universities that have restrictions if you completed your first semester at another university. For example, you can postpone your income for one year and keep a scholarship (if applicable), but they don't allow you to transfer credits. On the other hand, for students who were already studying abroad, the transfer process may be easier, since other policies for students of higher years are handled. The program coordinator will help you contact your university and navigate the options that are raised by your home university with you.

More information
If you have any questions, you can contact the Office of International Programs (OPI) and/or review the current student handbook.